5 top tips for entering the recruitment industry
Exams are over and you’re enjoying a blissful summer – who knew we lived in a Mediterranean climate?! But you can’t help but have a slight sinking feeling every time you think about applying for jobs… No idea where to start or what you want to do? Entering the UK’s £32 billion recruitment industry might not have ever crossed your mind but there are some seriously strong reasons why people love it. Recruitment companies can vary hugely and it is important to know what to look for and how to ensure you are set up for success.
Some top tips for entering the industry are as follows:
- Polish up your LinkedIn profile - It probably comes as no surprise, but recruiters sure know what they’re looking for when it comes to candidates – they check out CVs every day! LinkedIn is a fundamental aspect of any recruiter’s role too. It’s vital that you have a profile that shows you are open to opportunities and is as industry specific as possible. Ensure you have a complete profile with a professional photo, like/follow relevant industry pages (to stay in the know) and build up a real presence on the site.
- Understand how the recruitment industry works – Chances are, if you have just finished school or university you won’t have had much involvement with the recruitment industry yet. It can really set you apart from other people entering the recruitment world if you have a strong knowledge of the processes that are involved. Understanding the specific industries that companies recruit for is essential too. Get researching!
- Don’t fear your lack of experience – It might feel like people expect you to have 5 years of experience to secure any new role but let’s be real, if you’ve been in education your whole life so far, that’s going to have been pretty impossible! Embrace your skillset and draw upon other aspects of your profile that you have developed elsewhere. Think about any part time roles you have had, projects you have completed at school/university and anything else you are proud to have achieved!
- Become a pro networker – When looking for a new role, it is important to build up a strong connection-base and remember that anyone you meet could become very relevant to you in the future. The recruitment industry is obviously all about people, so they are going to be a huge asset to you!
- Highlight your ‘can-do’ attitude and show that you aspire to be successful – As you might be aware, the industry can involve longer than average hours and therefore a strong drive/passion for success is imperative. Salaries are often bumped up significantly by commission so work hard and get ‘stuck in’ and serious rewards will come your way. When in the interview process, it can really help to emphasise these aspects of your personality.
At Quanta, we like to do things a bit differently; with exceptionally low staff turnover rates and a multiple award-winning track record, we are pretty sure you’ll understand the appeal too. We have a very strong financial position (with turnover exceeding £55 million to be precise!). Our brand is recognised globally and 70% of our services are provided to companies outside of the UK. The culture at Quanta is all about ‘working hard and playing hard’ and we seriously value the fact that we enjoy what we do.
Just some of the benefits of working at Quanta include:
- AXA private healthcare
- Generous holiday allowance
- Award winning training and development
- Frequent social/team events
- Regular incentives – e.g. wheel of fortune, prizes etc.
- Penthouse playroom – a fully equipped playroom with a ball pit, table tennis table, PS4 & football table
- Impressive career progression paths
- Language tuition – learn a language/improve your skills within work time
- Healthshield – allows you to claim back cashback on optical, dental, physio and pampering
- Car leasing scheme
- Corporate gym membership
- Costco membership
Not bad, right? If you think Quanta could be of interest to you, check out our Trainee Recruitment Consultant roles here or get in touch with our internal recruitment team today